If you're planning a visit to St. Osyth, you'll find that there are plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. Here are just a few ideas to help you make the most of your trip.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions!
- Enjoy Nature – Take a walk along the beach and explore the local nature reserves, including the St. Osyth Clacton-on-Sea Nature Reserve. There are plenty of areas to explore, from sand dunes to wetlands and woodlands.
- Visit the Abbey – Explore the ruins of the 12th century St. Osyth Priory, a former Augustinian abbey. The site is open for visitors to explore and learn about the history of the area.
- Relax at the Beach – St. Osyth beach is a popular destination for sunbathing, swimming and beach sports. The beach also has a cafe, a beach shop and a lifeguard station.
- Enjoy the Wildlife – See the wildlife in the area and visit the nearby Fingringhoe Wick Nature Reserve. There are plenty of birds, amphibians and mammals to spot, as well as some notable species of plants.
- Explore the Markets – Check out the local markets and stalls at St. Osyth Market, which takes place each Saturday in the village square. Here you can find fresh produce, crafts and antiques.
- Visit the Castle – Explore the ruins of St. Osyth Castle, an 11th century Norman castle and now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The ruins are open to the public and there are plenty of places to explore.
- Take a Boat Trip – Take a boat trip around the river Colne and explore the area's many small islands and creeks. There are plenty of small boats available for hire and some of the larger boats offer guided tours.
- Enjoy the Arts – Visit the St. Osyth Arts Centre, which hosts regular art exhibitions, music and theatre performances. You can also take part in art workshops and classes.
- Explore the Museums – Visit the St. Osyth Heritage Museum and explore the history of the area through its collections. There are also historic buildings to explore, such as St. Osyth's Church and St. Osyth's Guildhall.
- Taste the Local Cuisine – Sample the local cuisine at the St. Osyth's eateries, from traditional pubs to contemporary restaurants. There are also plenty of shops to explore and sample the local produce.
- Take a Tour – Take a guided tour of the area and explore the local landmarks, such as the Priory, the castle and the beach. You can also take a tour of the nearby villages and towns.
- Go Shopping – Visit the local shops and markets and find unique items and souvenirs to take home. There are also plenty of shops in the nearby towns and villages, offering a range of local goods.
- Enjoy the Festivals – Attend the St. Osyth Festival of Music and Arts and take part in the many activities and performances. There are also plenty of other festivals throughout the year, such as the St. Osyth Community Festival, the St. Osyth Festival of Food and Drink and the St. Osyth Festival of Light.
- Take a Walk – Take a walk along the beach and enjoy the views of the coast. There are plenty of trails and paths to explore, as well as some stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Go Fishing – Go fishing in the river Colne or in one of the many nearby lakes. There are plenty of fishing spots to explore and a range of species to fish for.
There are many things to see and do near St. Osyth. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, you'll find plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the area!